I have spent the last two months running experiments to figure out how to attract woodpeckers to feeders and thought some other folks would be interested in the results.
This was a massive case of making lemonade when life gives you lemons so if you find the article useful then it is a double bonus for me!
Attracting Woodpeckers to Your Bird Feeders
The general steps for getting woodpeckers to eat at your feeders are as follows:
- Make your yard hospitable for woodpeckers
- Understand which types of woodpecker are present
- Feed peanuts for larger woodpeckers
- Feed suet for smaller woodpeckers
- Consider Feeder Placement (Open vs Treeline)
- Feed Consistently
Let’s look at each of these steps in a little more detail.