I have been learning a ton while researching different bat questions for this site. One of the things I learned was that I could be a participant in the “Bat Community” without having to muck about in damp caves or musty attics.
It turns out that the easiest and most fun way of helping bats is to Sponsor a rescued bat at the Bat World Sanctuary!
The Bat World Sanctuary is located outside of Cool, Texas and was founded in 1994. They are a 501c non-profit and have the following Mission:
- Providing permanent sanctuary for non-releasable bats.
- The protection and conservation of wild bat colonies.
- Promoting the humane treatment of bats in captivity.
- Educating the public about the importance of bats.
- Training animal care professionals on the proper treatment of bats
Here is a look at some of the work that the group performs.
The Bat World Sanctuary is the permanent home to many bats whose injuries prevent them from being released into the wild. One way to support the Bat World Sanctuary is to Sponsor one of these permanent residents!
You can sponsor a bat for only $35 and it’s only $25 more for each other bat you sponsor. I was able to Sponsor two bats for just $60. The bats I sponsored were The Captain and Bernie the Avenger!
Here is a video look at The Captain. You can read his full story here.
Here is a video look at Bernie the Avenger that also tells most of his story.
When you sponsor a bat you receive:
- A personalized adoption certificate
- A matted 5″ x 7″ glossy photo of your bat
- Your bat’s personal story
- A graphic representing the size of your bat
- The natural history of the species
- An online subscription to Night Flight News emails (subscribe at batworld.org or email us at [email protected] to be added).
- A bat rescue card.
- A myths and facts card.
- A beautiful bookmark
Of course the biggest thing you receive is a big smile on your face that comes from knowing you are helping out some nice people who are doing wonderful things.
These folks also have live Bat Cams inside the enclosures so you can peek in on the bats you sponsor. Of course you won’t be able to tell which bat is which but you can always make a guess! The Bat Cams are live and transmit 24/7. Here is a link to the Bat Cams!
If you are looking for a unique gift to buy the wildlife enthusiast in your life, or if you simply want to do something to help bats, the head over to the Bat World Sanctuary and Sponsor A Bat!