I started looking at Squirrel Houses for Sale for my backyard friends and found two great options.
Here is what I found:
The Most Popular nest box is the “Squirrel Condo” made by Chuck-a-Nut.
The Squirrel Condo is a simple cedar box with dimensions of 12 x 8 x 8 inches that has a three inch hole on the side for squirrel entry.
The reviews indicate that the box is highly functional and squirrels are quick to move in to their new home.
I think this house is the most popular because it has a cute name and is the lowest priced option at around $40.
The downsides of this nest box are:
- No internal shelf under the opening for use as a predator guard.
- The box has to be disassembled if you want to clean it out.
Personally I don’t think you need to be cleaning out squirrel nest boxes. Squirrels are plenty smart enough to get stuff out of their nests that they don’t want.
The Best Designed nest box is the Squirrel House made by Coveside.
At first glance the Coveside squirrel house looks extremely similar to the Squirrel Condo. However there are several significant differences.
The Coveside house is:
- Significantly LARGER than the squirrel condo (18 x 9 x 11 inches) versus (12 x 8 x 8 inches)
- Made from Eastern White Pine instead of Cedar. Some people claim cedar is bad for squirrels (but I have no idea if that is true).
- Has a swinging side panel for easy cleaning
- Has a Predator Guard located inside the box to deter raccoons from raiding the nest.
The Coveside squirrel house costs about $10 more than the Squirrel Condo but you will get a better product.
There are several other manufacturers of squirrel houses out there but their products are just about the same as the two listed above.
You will either get a functional and inexpensive cedar box or a slightly more expensive house with some nice extra features.
I hope you found this article useful for your squirrel shopping needs!
Here are the Amazon links again to the most popular and best designed squirrel nest boxes for sale.